A few days earlier President Joseph R. Biden Jr’s Administration, Department of Homeland Security testified for the creation of a Disinformation Governance Board. The announcement caused back and forth exchanges, and of course the scuffles erupted as Law Makers / Senators raised their voices as a form of response and opposition. Senators took to Twitter and various social media platforms, to describe in lay terms or figurative speech: What the heck is going on??? I too was confused with the abrupt announcement and took some time to reflect upon Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) views, various news articles to gather information, to formulate a view, opinion or response.
I found it interesting that the announcement came two days after Elon Reeve Musk’s purchase of Twitter, as he voiced his concern and support for free speech on Twitter. Later Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas admitted that he should have explained better as to what the mission of the Disinformation Board would be. To reveal and exemplify that engagement via social and news platforms is going to cause a +/- affect. As per political arena: a political / Government comment is also going to cause reaction and response from the political community, who do have personal and professional political side preference, such as Democratic and Republican.
The challenge of Twitter ownership becomes if an owner of a Social Media platform can keep a step back without being politically inclined, take sides or more importantly, to not utilize power of ownership as a form to control. But I think to remain impartial can happen. As there are Tech owners such as Apple Inc’s Tim Cook, or Privately / Publicly held companies who are just simply interested to increase Market Share, Stock trading price, without any direct involvement. We have also in the past heard of Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook Advertisements especially to promote election outcomes.
As the announcement came from Secretary Mayorkos (DHS) we also heard of Nina Jankowicz to serve for the Disinformation Governance Board as the Executive Director. While I don’t know Ms. Jankowicz personally or comment for this choice, I was disappointed to see America’s flag alongside the Ukrainian Flag on her Twitter handle. Which also returned me to my previous reflection upon Primus Inter Pares. The display is in opposition to Primus Inter Pares, as well as to note from the recent Heritage Foundation President’s comment: Russia should not be viewed as America’s adversary.
I continue to affirm that the Russia and Ukraine war / invasion should not be viewed as America’s war, and to position to help another countries suffering. I do however point the attention to the Senate Council of Foreign Relations Ranking Member Sen. Jim Risch, R-Idaho, to ponder more upon the role of the United Nations and why organizations as such are not taking more active steps to advocate and enact legislations to end the war? In the midst former Actor and Ukrainian President Zelenskyy is being created as a hero, and wants nations to pour more money into Ukraine.
To take note that even when nations desire to take a stand or with a particular side: Even if you stand in opposition to the attacker, in this case the Russian Government, you are still viewed as the aggressor. In other words: the position of attack, defence and the prevention of war, is also a cause to the war that one seeks to prevent (Allen, 2009), thus; the need for Governing bodies, National and international organizations to speak up.
This is why I wondered if an employee of an administration should display another countries flag on a Twitter handle, especially during the delicate and fragile times where life and destructions is at stake.
At this point in time I am unsure of what the Disinformation Mission Board seeks to do. But with respect to academia, scholars, students learning and so on, I really don’t believe this creation should serve as a threat or impediment. Given that the purpose of sharing our views and opinions is not a direct attack or agreement with Government per se. Much of the concerns we see today were actually predicted by the scholarly community many years earlier. As for Senators / Law Makers who do raise their voices and concern, my thought is parallel to the preceding. This is part of the Senates role – to offer views and opinions that are often contrary or aligned to the Government of the day, this is also democracy in action.
- Ministry of Truth: Senators / Law Makers and News Media outlets have drawn a parallel to the Disinformation Mission Board, to the Ministry of Truth, that is a 1984 dystopian novel written by George Orwell
- U.S. Senators concerns include overshadowing the Safety and Security of the U.S. Southern Border, with the in-coming go illicit drugs. Many U.S. Senators have conveyed the dispelling of the Disinformation Governance Board immediately.
- Primus Inter Paras is Latin for the phrase: First Among Equals and is rooted from the Roman Senate. From this discussion and previous writings it is a given that the principle varies among contexts and its application as strategic design.
- According to sources recently opposition leader Russian opposition leader Vladimir Kara-Murza was arrested for speaking up against Russian Leader Vladimir Putin. His arrest is of great concern especially for the protection of democracy. Vladimir Kara-Murza met with Florida Senator Rubio in March to discus anti-war efforts.
- Image 1 – Created with CANVA.COM
- Twitter Link and handle .@MarcoRubio .@MsSsHussain
- Twitter Video and Tweet Link and handle .@MarcoRubio
- Facebook Link @shaziashussain14325
- Twitter Link and handle .@SenateForeign
- Twitter Link and handle .@MarcoRubio
- Twitter Link and Handle .@MsSsHussain (Unsent Tweet that is saved to my drafts)
- Twitter Link and handle .@SenRubioPress
Reference: Allen, J. (2009). Mind is the Master – the complete James Allen Treasury.
Notes: These thoughts were originally hand-written on May 1. 2022. All views and opinions are my own, and are cited as required.
With Love & Kindness! 🇺🇸