As I learned of the Zero Covid protests in China with the public unrests and desires to ease restrictions, I reflected upon these actions juxtaposed with the first confirmed cases of COVID-19 stemming from China. I wondered if the former and the latter are associated with biblical ideas conveyed within the Colossians 2: 20-22.
“If you have died with Christ to the spiritual forces of the world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its regulations: 21“Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!”? 22 These will all perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings.…
The human commands as described in the above verse can be assimilated to the idea of restrictions imposed upon human-beings during the health pandemic; to reckon how humans are forced to submit to regulations even if religious right (s) feel threatened. We can also question why emphasis to gain access to resources and services to help with religious accommodation for the COVID Vaccine were limited to zero.
- ABC NEWS | COVID-19 lockdown protests grow in China
- The New York Times | Chinese Protests Over ‘Zero Covid’ Follow Months of Economic Pain
- Related Blog Post | A POINT OF BALANCE?
Notes: I decided to write and publish these thoughts as I learned of the passing of Former Chinese Communist Party leader Jiang Zemin. Our respects of sympathy and condolences.
- Image 1 – Link | Our Lady of China Mosaic | The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington DC., USA.
- Twitter link and handle | ABC’s World News Tonight with David Muir
With Love & Kindness! 🇺🇸